It looked easy and cheap; two concepts I like a lot. Mead is only three ingredients: Water, honey and yeast. It didn’t take long to find some yeast online on a brewing website. They had all sorts of yeast and equipment for different brews like vine, mead, beer and even champagne. I bought some yeast and some yeast nutrition to feed it. Then I went to the store and bought a bunch of honey. It takes quite a lot of honey to brew mead. And I bought some two liter bottles of water as well. That way I had totally clean water and containers for the fermentation process. Double win.
The recipe is fairly easy: 3 LBS of honey pr. gallon of water. Or in regular, understandable terms, 350 grams of honey pr. liter.
The water I use is regular bottled mineral water. Nothing fancy about it, other than it makes it is easy to measure and it is clean
I decided to use different sorts of honey to see if the result would be different between them. In total I used three different kinds of honey. The first is a very light, organic acacia honey. It is very soft and has the classic acacia taste to it.
The second honey is a darker slightly thicker, yet still soft, honey from Mexico. It has a more syrupy taste to it, and honestly I have high hopes for this one.
The last honey is by far the cheapest. It is the supermarket’s own dynamic no-name honey. It tastes slightly acidic, and less refined than the others, but my hope is that mead brewed with this will be good for back-sweetening (Adding taste with fruits or berries after the fermentation is done, to give flavor and a little more sweetness) or adding spices for taste.
The yeast is a Lalvin D47, white vine yeast with an alcohol tolerance of 14 percent. The store said this one is good for mead which is why I picked it.
Now all that is left to do is to wait for the fermentation to be finished in a few weeks and then the back-sweetening and flavoring starts.
Updates will come later, so check back!